Fireplace ideas

Anything you want to share!
Almarma

Fireplace ideas

Post by Almarma » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello,

I recently adquired Light Up (amazing software), and am working in a nice project I hope I would share when finished (if the customers agree). For one room I want to add a burning fireplace. I found a animated texture in Internet and managed to make it move (editing the GIF to make it one layer, very wide with the frames side by side with ramp animation and 7 steps (for the 7 frames it has).

Now, to make it more realistic, I want the fire to emit light. I set up 5000lux, emitter, 60º, and additive glow, but I cannot see the light over the surrounding objects. What I see is that, after setting the light texture as an emitter, the background around the fire is transparent. I attach an image to show the problem to you. Maybe is better to put a light instead of setting the texture as emitter, right?
Teatro Andreas y Cristina - chimenea.jpg
Fireplace not emitting light
Teatro Andreas y Cristina - chimenea.jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
Teatro Andreas y Cristina - chimenea2.jpg
The fire is transparent when I set it as an emitter
Teatro Andreas y Cristina - chimenea2.jpg (114.51 KiB) Viewed 2904 times

Thank you in advance,
Almarma

Almarma

Re: Fireplace ideas

Post by Almarma » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Ok. I found the solution myself. The solution was written in the user manual, but I didn't find the first time. You can use a gif file, but you need to transform every frame in only one frame, side by side with the previous one. Then, use it as a texture in Skethup, adjust the texture to fit only the first frame in the fireplace, and set the texture animation as "Ramp", and setting 7 steps (the GIF I use has 7 frames). Just after setting it, the fire started to move!! And the best of all is that you can ajust very easily the speed of the frames.

About the light coming out from the fireplace, I didn't solved it 100%, but found that the light in the room was extremely strong, and that made the light from the fire too poor. So I keep testing changing the values from the rooms light and the fireplace. I'll show the result when find the correct ones ;)

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Almarma wrote:About the light coming out from the fireplace, I didn't solved it 100%, but found that the light in the room was extremely strong, and that made the light from the fire too poor. So I keep testing changing the values from the rooms light and the fireplace. I'll show the result when find the correct ones
Yes, it does look like that. And its great to hear you're using animated textures.

Here's a simple candle flame for anyone to play with using the technique described by Almarma. The texture is 8 "frames" of a candle flame which are cycled through using the LightUp texture Animation with a Ramp and Steps=8. I've set the candle texture to be Always fully lit, Don't cast Shadows and Additive Glow and the PointLight was set up as normal but I used Candela units when inputting the power. ie "1cd" can be input and LightUp will convert it to Lumen.
Attachments
candleflame.skp
Shows an animated candle + point light for lighting
(189.14 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Almarma

Post by Almarma » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Almarma wrote:I've set the candle texture to be Always fully lit, Don't cast Shadows and Additive Glow and the PointLight was set up as normal but I used Candela units when inputting the power. ie "1cd" can be input and LightUp will convert it to Lumen.
So, you mean is good to use the animated fire texture as emitter? I'm not 100% sure how to set up correctly to make the surrounding of the fireplace to shine. And how many candelas I should use for a fireplace?

Thank you for the answers AdamB!!